Hi, I'm Ash Ngu.
I am a designer and developer working in journalism, and an occasional photographer and woodworker.
Currently, I build data visualizations, stories and tools for ProPublica. My work has also been in The New York Times.
ashngu at gmail • Instagram • LinkedIn ✨
- The Smoke Comes Every Year. Sugar Companies Say the Air Is Safe.Tracking the impact of cane burns in the GladesData analysis and visualization • Maps • Design and development • Writing
- Hawaii's Beaches Are DisappearingSee how shoreline structures contribute to erosion of the state's beachesPitching • Design and development • Maps • Drone videography • Writing
- Does Your Local Museum or University Still Have Native American Remains?See where human remains were taken from and which institutions report still having them.Pitching • Reporting • Data collection, analysis, visualization • Maps • Design and development • Writing
- America’s Highest Earners And Their Taxes RevealedThe more income you make, the higher your tax rate is... right?Design and development • Data visualization • Writing
- Chicken CheckerSee how often salmonella was found at the plant that processed your chicken or turkeyDesign and development • Data visualization • Writing • Photography
- States Are Reopening: See How Coronavirus Cases Rise or FallWhich states meet reopening guidelines?Design and development • Reporting • Data visualization
- Opinion | To Help Prevent the Next Big Wildfire, Let the Forest BurnA visual op-ed in favor of prescribed burnsPitching • Reporting • Writing • Interviewing • Design
- Opinion | We Should Worry About How China Uses Apps Like TikTokUsing app usage data to highlight the increased popularity of TikTok in the Five Eyes countriesPitching • Data visualization • Design and development
- What It Takes to Get an Abortion in the Most Restrictive U.S. StateA side-by-side comparison of abortion restrictionsReporting • Design and development
- After the Las Vegas Shooting, the Nation Moved On. Many Survivors Did Not.A one-year retrospective in collaboration with the National deskReporting • Writing • Interviewing • Data visualization
- Opinion | Why Can’t Rich People Save Winter?Ski season is shrinking. Yet the people who love the sport aren’t doing enough to stop climate change.Reporting • Interviewing • Data visualization
- Listen to Her: Gender on This American LifeAnalyzing the gender gap on an acclaimed showPitching • Data collection, analysis, visualization • Design and development • Writing • Interviewing